One week ago today, I had the hernia surgery done.
Dr. Cava had told me ahead of time that it would be painful. He explained that when they attach the mesh that they use to repair the hernia, they attach it to muscle so there is pain involved. Now, most of the time, the pain has been bearable, but definitely there. The only time it was unbearable was the first time I stood up to go to the restroom on the day of the surgery. The pain was so bad, I broke out in a sweat and thought I was going to throw up. I knew it would hurt REALLY bad to throw up, so I got back to bed as quickly as possible, they gave me some IV pain med and I went to sleep.
Monday and Tuesday passed with me pretty much sleeping the whole time. I did come home on Tuesday and came home with ultram for pain. (I don't take Vicodin because I can't breathe right when I take it) The ultram probably eased the pain somewhat and I slept through most of the day Wednesday also.
On Thursday, I decided to try Extra Strength Tylenol and put aside the ultram. I got about the same results so I have stuck with the Tylenol since then. I take it as needed, not on a regular basis. I've been doing ok and have stayed awake a lot more. The weekend passed with me basically doing nothing. The boys were here and Quentin took great pride in helping me up out of my chair and generally taking care of me.
I felt so much better yesterday (Sunday) that I...wait for it....GOT DRESSED!!! A few weeks ago, I gave a bunch of clothes to Goodwill. Unfortunately, I gave away all but one pair of my sweat-type pants because they were all pretty old. Since I still have some swelling, I don't want to try to wear jeans yet. So, I got on the internet and ordered some new pants. Hopefully they will be here tomorrow, but just in case, I have to wash the sweat suit I have on right now:-)
I might try driving a little tonight since Geoff is home. The doctor said I can drive whenever I feel it is safe and I am no longer taking the pain meds. If I don't try tonight, then tomorrow. Elizabeth and Adriana came up today to visit. We went to lunch then came back here and hung out. It was nice to get out for a little bit.
I will be going back to the doctor on November 1 and hopefully back to work after that!
No comments:
Post a Comment