I met Dr. Yahanda, the surgeon, today. Unfortunately, things are not going to move along as quickly as I had hoped. I was ready to get this thing out yesterday, but I found out today that I have to have another test before he can do surgery.
There is a certain percentage of stomach cancers that will show up benign on the first biopsy. So, the growth I have COULD still be a cancer, but it could also be something else. It was some big long word I have never heard of so I can't remember what it is called. He told me a few times that he really thinks it is the "something else", but he has to be sure before he operates.
The treatment for stomach cancer is to do chemotherapy first then operate to remove the tumor. The treatment for "something else" is to just operate and take it out. So, in order for him to be sure of what it is, I have to have another type of upper GI endoscopy.
This one is with a different kind of probe that will do an ultrasound of the tumor. It will also have a needle in it or on it that will be used to do a needle biopsy of the inside of the tumor rather than just the surface. I don't know when I will have this test. Only one doctor in Fort Wayne administers the test and he is at Lutheran Hospital. They faxed all the info over to Lutheran and now I am waiting (remember the waiting game I mentioned in my first post?) for Lutheran to call me to set up a time for the test.
After this test, I will see Dr. Yahanda within 5-7 days and then we will proceed with whatever treatment is necessary. Let's hope for JUST surgery!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment